An important concept for elementary students is that church is not a building but a community of people. One way to reinforce this concept is to have them make a paper chain of church people that are members of your community. The fun comes in personalizing each one and then using them to create a poster to celebrate your church community. This church paper chain activity works well as part of the lesson on Church Community.
- template printed on legal (8.5″ x 14″) paper (1 per student)
- crayons, colored pencils, or markers
- black poster board and a white piece of chalk
After passing out the paper template to students, instruct them as follows:
- Fold the piece in paper in half with the printed outlines on the inside.
- Then complete an accordion style fold by folding the two quarter panels on each end toward the outside.
- Cut around the first figure through all 4 layers.
- Personalize each person as someone in your community and then glue on tag board to make a poster.