Turn a twister mat into a fun catechism game. Assign each color to a gospel writer. Use a marker to write their names on the colored circles and on the spinner colors.
When you play the game instead of calling a color, you says a Gospel writers name. For older kid’s use the extension (see below), in which the caller read’s a Gospel verse for that particular Gospel writer and the kids on the mat must fill in the last word.
Setting up the Gospel Catechism Game
- Spread the mat face up on a flat surface.
- Players take off their shoes and set them aside.
- Designate an extra person as the referee. The referee is not considered a player; during the game, the referee will spin the spinner, call out the moves, and monitor the game play.
- Position players around the other edge of the mat.
How to Play the Gospel Catechism Game
The referee spins the spinner, then calls out the body part and the color that the arrow points to. For example, the referee may call out: “Right hand, John.” All players, at the same time, must then try to follow the referee’s directions as explained below.
- Each player must try to place the called-out body part on a vacant circle of the called-out color. For [example, if the referee calls out “Right hand, John,” each player must try to place a right hand on any vacant red circle.
- If your called-out hand or foot is already on a circle of the called-out color, you must try to move it to another circle of the same color.
- There can never be more than one hand or foot on any one circle. If two or more players reach for the same circle, the referee must decide which player got there first. The other player(s) must find another vacant circle of the same color.
- Never remove your hand or foot from a circle unless you’re directed to by the referee after a spin. Exception: You may lift a hand or foot to allow another hand or foot to pass by, as long as you announce it to the referee beforehand, and replace it on its circle immediately afterward.
- If all 6 circles of a color are already covered, the referee must spin again until a different color can be called out.
How to win
Any player who falls, or touches the mat with an elbow or knee, is immediately out of the game. (If you feel that a new position is impossible, or will cause you to fall, you may eliminate yourself).
The last player left in the game is the winner!
Extension: Learn the most popular Scripture verses from this writers.
After a spin of the spinner, have the co-catechist read the most popular Bible passage from that particular writer. Ask the kids to fill in the last word. The simple repetition during the game will help them get the verses memorized.
|Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you ____(rest).|
|MARK [12:30]||Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your ____(soul).|
|And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as _____ (yourself).|
|For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have ______(eternal life).|
Extension: Gospel Bible Puzzles
A great extension to this activity is to make and use Gospel Bible puzzles for fun reinforcement.