The presence of guardian angels gives comfort to us all and so a guardian angel lesson designed for 1st graders is important. Students will get a wonderful sense of how they protect and guide us. This versatile guardian angels lesson can be done at home or in a classroom setting.
Introduction: Angels are God’s Messengers
Explain that angels are present throughout the Bible.
In Christmas story, angels are important messengers:
- Angel Gabriel visits Mary and told her she would have Jesus
- Angels visit the shepherds and proclaim Jesus’ the birth
- An angel tells Joseph to flee in order to get away from the danger of King Herod
In Easter story, angels are important messangers:
- An angel tells the women arriving at the tomb the good news that He is risen!
- Watch this short uplifting video called The Very Best Easter Morning video to see the angel’s presence at the tomb.
Discuss the Role of Guardian Angels
Cover these key points below to give an overview of guardian angels:
Share Pictures of Guardian Angels
Use this Slide Show to see show classic pictures of guardian angels or use the images at Turn Back to God website. Have everyone pick out their favorite. Pick out and explain what a halo is.
Craft: Guardian Angels
Option 1: Little Ways Cute and Easy Angel Craft
Full directions are on the Little Ways website. Once the template is printed, all you need are construction paper, scissors, glue, crayons, and markers.
Option 2: Catholic Icing Printable Angel Handprint Craft
Full directions are on the Catholic Icing website. Print the template and then decide if you will use blue crayon or blue tempera paint to do the wings. If you want to go all out, add some glitter to the wings and halo.
Explain how we have a special prayer to our guardian angels that we can say at bedtime. Say the Guardian angel prayer together and follow it with the Our Father.
Our lesson will discuss the importance of angels as God’s messengers. We will explain how guardian angels guide us, protect us, and help us choose what is right. We hope you enjoy the guardian angel craft we will make.
Please help your child memorize the guardian angel prayer by saying it at bedtime.
- What surrounds an angel’s head? [halo]
- When should you pray to your guardian angel?
Thank you for the opportunity to teach your child.
Your Child’s Catechist