This Baptism of Jesus craft is a fun way to review the Bible story. The dove which descends on Jesus’ baptism is attached to the card by a pop-up cloud. Make this card to be an engaging part of the lesson on the Baptism of Jesus for 2nd grade.
What makes this craft great is that there is minimal preparation and gathering of supplies! Simply print the 2-page template on cardstock and your preparation is done. For situations where the kids are young or when there is limited class time, pre-cutting the dove and/or cloud can help. Kids are fascinated by how easy the pop-up mechanism is made.
This craft offers an opportunity to refer the concept of the Holy Trinity. The printable incorporates a very key prompt: ”Why is this story important to our understanding of the Holy Trinity.” Take the time to discuss at a deeper level how all 3 persons of the Trinity are present. God’s voice speaks lovingly from above. The Holy Spirit descends in the form of a dove. Jesus, the Son, is in the water.
Template for the Baptism of Jesus craft
Jesus, John and Dove clipart from Charlotte’s Clips TpT
- Print the 2 page template on cardstock (1 per student). If desired, feel free to print the first page on beige or gray cardstock and the second page on white cardstock. This gives so color contrase to make the white cloud and dove stand out more.
- Cut out the cloud and the dove found on page 2 of the template.
- Fold the cloud in half with the marked dotted fold line and then cut it out by cutting around on all sides except the fold side.
- On the cloud, cut on the 2 marked cut lines to make a slit.
- Push the slit to the inside and make firm creases to create a step (see Picture 1 below).
- Glue the dove to the front side of the step (see Picture 2 below).
- Glue the entire cloud to page 1 of the template in the cloud position (see Picture 3 and Picture 4 below).
- Color and answer the prompt: “Why is this story important to our understanding of the Holy Trinity.” [Possible answer: “The 3 persons are present: Father’s voice, Holy Spirit dove and Jesus in the water.” ]