Making a homemade kaleidoscope as an Holy Trinity craft is fun, easy and budget friendly. And this kaleidscope works really well to boot! A thin transparent disk containing colored tissue paper is rotated to create kaleidoscope patterns of color as light reflects inside the triangular kaleidscope tube.
Holy Trinity Object Lesson
This activity can be woven into an object lesson on the Holy Trinity. By labeling each side of the tube with a part of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) discussion can be centered on how all 3 parts of the Holy Trinity make up one God just like in the kaleidscope all 3 sides make up the working kaleidscope. The Holy Trinity works together in our salvation and the 3 sides of kaleidoscope work together to reflect light down the tube to our eyes.
Supplies for the Homemade Kaleidoscope:
- Silver poster board or High Gloss Mirror board, cut into (1” x 4” pieces) (3 per kaleidoscope)
- Clear contact paper cut into 2.5 in diameter circles) (2 per kaleidoscope)
- Tissue paper bits, small, various colors
- Nails, about 1 to 2 inches long (1 per kaleidoscope)
- Scotch tape
Directions for the Homemade Kaleidoscope:
Step 1: Make the triangular tube
- Lay the 3 rectangular pieces of mirrored cardboard flat with mirrored side down next to each other on a table.
- Write “Father”, “Son” and “Holy Spirit” on each of the separate piece in big letters and decorate (see Picture 1)
- Add 2 long pieces of tape along the 2 neighboring edges (see Picture 2). Pick up and make into a triangle shape. Then add the last piece of tape (see Picture 3).
Step 2: Make a contact paper sandwich with tissue paper in the middle
- Take off the release paper off of the contact circles.
- Lay sticky side up and add some bits of tissues paper to the surface of one of the circles. Don’t totally fill as you don’t want to completely block light form coming through (see Picture 4).
- Create a contact paper sandwich by put the two sticky sides togeter. (see Picture 5).
Step 3: Attach the Contact Paper Spinner
- Insert a nail through the middle of the contact paper sandwich (see Picture 6).
- Attach the spinner to the triangular body by taping the nail to one edge of the triangle (see Picture 7).
How to operate the Homemade Kaleidoscope:
To enjoy the kaleidoscipe, look throught the open end at a light source like a lamp or window and then spin the contact paper wheel.
Perfect Alternative Craft Kit for Treasured VBS!
If you are looking for supplemental crafts for your VBS programming, this craft is perfect. Incorporate it as an alternative to an Imagination Station activity or as extended day activity.
If you are doing Virtual Treasured VBS this is great alternative craft. It can easily be bagged in a quart-sized ziploc bag (Picture 8). Instead of writing the parts of the Trinity on the 3 sides, you can have them write the Bible point of the day. For example for VBS Treasured Day 5, have the kids write “God chooses ME!” (Picture 9). Allow 40 min of time for this craft,